A new investigative report by The Washington Post sheds new light on the Clintons’ handling of the Monica Lewinsky affair and the role of former White House counsel Vince Foster.
In a wide-ranging exposé, the Post documents the Clintons’s handling of allegations against President Bill Clinton and their failure to act to keep their relationship secret for more than a year.
The Post first reported the existence of the investigation by reporter Mark Landler.
In the report, Landler reveals how Clinton’s lawyers and allies sought to cover up the existence and nature of the affair by hiring the notorious lawyer and private investigator James Carville to investigate it.
In addition, Carville was instrumental in getting former President George H.W. Bush to fire the president’s brother, President Jeb Bush, for a series of misdeeds in the White House.
As the Post’s report shows, Carvalho’s investigation of Lewinsky was conducted under the direction of the Clintons and was overseen by the law firm of Gibson Dunn, which has long represented clients in such high-profile cases as the Whitewater land deal and the 1996 death of former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee.
“It is remarkable that after four years of intense media scrutiny and the discovery of more than 200,000 documents, the Clintons, through a series, had failed to keep this matter secret for over a year,” Landler writes.
“The Clintons’ failure to protect the President and the President’s family from a growing, potentially damaging scandal is a major breach of trust.”
The Post’s investigation reveals that the Clintons sought to shield their relationship from public scrutiny and from the media.
They failed to take any steps to inform the public about the affair and failed to notify the American public of the existence or nature of any investigation, the report states.
“These failures were in direct contradiction of the First Amendment and the Constitution’s First Amendment protections for the right of the people to know what the government is doing,” said attorney John McKay, who represents two of the women, Lewinsky and Paula Jones.
“This is an extremely serious breach of confidence in the American press and it is a clear violation of the law.”
The report also details how, on Dec. 14, 1997, two days after the news of the Lewinsky investigation broke, then-President Bill Clinton went to Carville and told him that the news would be reported in the media and he would be allowed to call Lewinsky by name.
The next day, Carvilo contacted the press to tell reporters that Clinton was not being interviewed.
“When the president went to the press, he called Monica Lewinksy by name,” McKay said.
“He was trying to get the press out there to get this story out there.
He wanted the story out.”
The next morning, Lewinksys lawyer sent a letter to reporters that read: “I have to be honest with you.
The story you are reporting is wrong.
It is a complete lie.
I don’t know how you could do it but you will.
You are the problem.”
Carville called a meeting with reporters to announce that the President would be calling Lewinsky.
But the meeting was not recorded and was not made public.
In fact, Carvillo, who was acting on behalf of Lewinksym in her sexual harassment lawsuit, was secretly recorded by a reporter.
“I don’t have to tell you this, and I can’t tell you that if I did, I wouldn’t tell my bosses,” Carville said, according to a recording of the call.
“You don’t need to hear it.”
Carvalo later told the Post that he did not make the call, but “it was a matter of concern that he was recorded” and that he “didn’t want to embarrass the President.”
“He had a right to know who was calling,” Carvalou said.
The Clintons have not commented on the report.
The president has maintained a strong public support for the Clintons.
During his speech at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, last week, the president told the crowd: “What I know about Monica Lewinski is that she’s a beautiful, caring woman who was in the best of health.
The question is, was there anything she did that was improper?
Was there anything that was inappropriate about a conversation with me?
I’ve never seen anything that she did in the Oval Office that I don.t think was inappropriate.”
Clinton also defended the President on Monday, when he defended the Clintons by saying: “In my mind, the truth is, you have a family, and if a woman has something wrong with her, she should be proud of it.”
The Washington Examiner has requested the documents from the White Houses office of the press secretary, and the Office of the Press Secretary and the WhiteHouse.gov website have not yet responded.
“If you are wondering why we never shared these with the press,” McKay told The Washington Press Club on Monday.
“We did, but I would hope that the press